It was on March 14, 1937
that the Bruederschaft der Burgenlaender (Brotherhood of the Burgenlaender) was founded by 17 men. The purpose of the Club was to provide support to its members in times of sickness and death, and to preserve
the traditions of “home” for generations to come. The first officers
were nominated at the Old Stream Restaurant on March 30.
Correspondence Secr. Peter Hammerl
Secr. John Schnalzer
On September 28th
of that same year, women were welcomed into the Club. In its first year, the
Bruederschaft der Burgenlaender became a unified social organization, where fellow Burgenlaenders came together in Gemuetlichkeit!
A constitution was completed
in 1940, under the presidency of Joe Tancsics. The club had grown to 108 members.
The 1950’s saw the
arrival of many fellow Burgenlaenders that left their war-torn homeland to find a better life in America. The Club stood ready to assist its brothers and sisters in finding jobs and housing
in the New York area.
The meetings and social gatherings at that time took place at Zach’s Casino (later called Castle Harbour Casino)
in the Bronx.
The Club celebrated its Silver
Anniversary in 1962 with the dedication of the Bruederschaft Flag, the very flag that still proudly stands at our gatherings
In 1976, the Club began the
tradition of holding a “Maibaum” (May tree) dance and crowning a Miss Bruederschaft der Burgenlaender. The Queen represents the Club at various events throughout the year and becomes the Club’s “Calendar
Few would have thought, back
in 1937, that the Club would survive into the next century. The success of the
Society is a reflection of the spirit and dedication of its members.